Danish Royal Porcelain 1775-2000 - 225 Years of Design
Establishment of the Royal Porcelain Manufactory in 1775
Danish Porcelain Manufactory was established on 1 May 1775.
The initiative came from the chemist Frants Heinrich Muller,
who had conducted experiments for a number of years. The
Government was eager to support a scheme that could make
the country self-sufficient and the Royal Family, headed
by Queen Juliane Marie, displayed considerable interest,
taking shares in the manufactory. The manufactory chose
for its emblem the three wavy lines that symbolize Denmark's
waterways - the Sound, the Great Belt and the Little Belt.
initial years meant only expense. What saved the
manufactory was the fact that King Christian VII took over all
the shares in 1779. The manufactory now had a management
nominated by the king, its name changing to The Royal
Copenhagen Porcelain Man factory.
Copenhagen made in 1980 a Memorial Plate to celebrate the
Factory Store's 200th Anniversary. Today the Store is
still located in the same building on Stroget in Copenhagen.
Table Arrangements and Interior with Royal Porcelain,
Earliest European Porcelain in the 18th Century] [The
Establishment of The Royal Porcelain Manufactory in 1775]